Commercial Use Permit

Commercial recreation providers are those businesses that conduct their recreational business activities on or through state park lands. Washington State Parks has a variety of commercial recreation providers including: tour groups, kayak adventures, bicycle tours, mountain climbing expeditions, day camps and more. In addition, those businesses that deliver recreational rentals are also considered commercial use. Each business is required to register and possess a Commercial Use Permit in order to engage in commercial recreational use of state parks.

Registration for Commercial Use Permit requires completion of the application, proof of insurance, and paying the appropriate fees. For more information or questions that are not shown on this page, call (360) 902-8593 or email the permit office.

For more information regarding state permitting requirements, contact the Governor's Office of Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA). For information on permit timeliness data, please see the ORIA Central Repository.

applying for the Permit

To apply and receive a commercial use permit for Washington State Parks:

  1. Fill out, print, sign and date the Registration/Permit Application (PDF).
  2. If you are a non-profit group, you must also send in proof of your current non-profit status
  3. Include your certificate of insurance (COI) which lists Washington State Parks as the certificate holder. 
  4. Return the application, your COI, and usage fee to: Washington State Parks, P.O. Box 42650 Olympia, WA 98504-2650.
  5. Please allow up to 30 days for processing.

Application Fee and Usage Fees

$50 annual permit fee is required for all groups (non-refundable)

Usage fee is $2 per person/per day/per park. This includes staff. Non-profit group pay a usage fee of $1 per person/per day/per park. This also includes staff. Usage fees are paid at the end of your season. If you would like to pay for your usage prior to my end of season reminder, you may do so. Here is a link to the Usage Report.


What other documents do I need to send in with my application? You must send in your completed Commercial Use Permit Application along with a copy of your certificate of insurance and a check for $50.  If your group is non-profit, you must also include proof of your current non-profit status. Please also include itineraries or schedules and maps of the locations you plan to use. 

How much insurance coverage do I need?  That will depend on the risk level of your activity.  At a minimum, we require you to have $1,000,000 in liability with a general aggregate of $2,000,000.  Your insurance certificate must show Washington State Parks as the certificate holder.

Do I need a Discover Pass in addition to my permit? Yes. The commercial use permit you receive is only for you to conduct business within the park. The Discover Pass is required on all vehicles parking within park property.

How long will it take to get my permit? Please allow up to 30 days for an approved permit.

How long is my permit good for? The permit is good for one calendar year (January 1 - December 31).

How much do I send in with my permit application? The permit fee is $50.

Is there a use fee with the permit? Yes.  There is a $2 charge per person/per day/per park. For non-profit groups, the fee is $1 per person/per day/per park. 

When do I pay for my use? At the end of the year, we will send you a letter requesting your usage for the year. The usage report must be returned to us along with any monies owed.

Do I need to keep track of how many clients I have using the park? Yes. You will need that information to report to our office at the end of the year. Keep track of parks used, dates and how many clients you had for that day/park.

Do employees of my business get charged the per person rate? Yes. All employees, tour leaders, etc will be charged at the same rate as clients.