Special Activities Permit

Washington State Parks is a great place to hold many activities including company picnics, community festivals or events, scouting events, and organized recreational events such as adventure races and fun runs. These activities are referred to as “Special Activities” and require a permit to guarantee staffing and safety of both your group and the park.

Special activities are:

  • Limited timeframe meaning not lasting more than a couple of days.
  • Occur no more than three (3) times a year
  • Might need special planning and review
  • Might need additional agency, state, or local permitting
  • Likely to have some impact on staff, other visitors, or park resources
Tents, hot air balloons, and bicycle riders lined up for a race

To apply for a Special Activity Permit (PDF) please complete the application and send it to the park contact where the activity will take place. See the park contact list (PDF) for park address, emails, and phone numbers.

Applying for a Special Activity Permit

  1. Fill out, print, sign, and date the Special Activity Permit Application (PDF).
  2. Include a copy of a park map indicating the location of the activity. Find a parks map .
  3. Include payment, $45 application fee, additional fees will be assessed. See fee schedule.
  4. Provide a certificate of insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 general liability and $1,000,000 personal injury naming State Parks as an additional insured or show evidence of insurance for WA State self-insured governmental entities. State Parks should be listed as follows: Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, 1111 Israel Rd SW, Olympia, WA 98504.

Submit application to park contact at least sixty (60) days in advance to allow for review, consultation with local governments, public notice, SEPA review requirements, and required agency preparations.

Not all Permit applications are approved and Permits that are issued will often have restrictive conditions placed on the permittee.  Advertisement for an event or activity or the collection of event registration fees prior to a Special Activity Permit being issued for an event or activity is strongly discouraged and is done solely at the risk of the applicant.

Please prepare to communicate regularly with Washington State Parks staff to ensure successful completion of application.

Additional requirements

If you intend to serve or sell alcohol refer to the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB) requirements.

If your activity includes professional filming or still photography the photographer is required to have a film permit. See Filming and Photography Permits.

If your Special Activity Permit covers multiple parks or will occur more than 3 times within a year please contact a Region office for more information, see Region Office contact information below.

Application fee includes the basic environmental review. Additional review fees may apply.

Eastern Region Office

270 Ninth Street NE
Suite 200
East Wenatchee, WA 98802
Phone: (509) 665-4319
Email the Eastern Region Office

Southwest Region Office

1111 Israel Road SW
P.O. Box 42650
Olympia, WA 98504
Phone: (360) 725-9770
Email the Southwest Region Office

Northwest Region Office

220 N Walnut Street
Burlington, WA 98233
Phone: (360) 755-9231
Email the Northwest Region Office