Ocean City State Park
Smack dab in the middle of the Washington coast, near the beach town of Ocean Shores, you will find the lovely, unpretentious Ocean City State Park.
If you're looking for a rest stop or a long walk on the beach, this could be your park, but Ocean City is also a great place for birding, beach exploration and digging up tasty razor clams (in season).
The park backs North Bay Natural Preserve, a shallow bay with a network of wetland streams and mudflats that bring birds and wildlife to the sky and land. Just down the road, lively Ocean Shores presents shopping and dining opportunities, and an 18-hole golf course.
In most seasons, you can drive on the beach, so you won't have to schlep picnic food, chairs, day tents and bags all the way from the parking lot. Please observe the 25-mph speed limit, as it is a state highway.
Make your way back to the park for a colorful (or stormy) sunset and a breath of salty air, before curling up in your tent, trailer or RV.
Ocean City State Park is a year-round, 257-acre camping park, featuring ocean beach, dunes and dense thickets of shore pine.
Washington's coastal parks are dynamic and beautiful. They are also potentially dangerous! Learn about beach-specific hazards and how to stay safe when you go to play or camp at coastal parks on our Beach Hazards page.
Use our interactive ADA recreation map to search for other state parks with ADA amenities and facilities.
Picnic & day-use facilities
The park provides four sheltered and 10 unsheltered picnic tables. The parking lot accommodates 100 vehicles. Nearby Griffiths-Priday State Park has a reservable picnic shelter for groups of up to 50 people. For reservations call the park at (360) 289-3553.
Water activities & features
- Fishing (freshwater)
- Personal watercraft use
Other activities & features
- Beach exploration
- Bird watching
- Wildlife viewing
Visitors may enjoy interpretive signs available throughout the park. The Ocean Shores Interpretive Center is located on the south end of Ocean Shores near the marina. It's open on the weekends from May 26 to June 30, and 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday, Thursday - Sunday from July 1 to Labor Day.
- Loops one and two have grassy areas that accommodate badminton, croquet and volleyball.
- Digging for razor clams is allowed in certain areas during specified seasons and times.
- A recreational license is required for fishing and shellfish harvesting at Washington state parks. For regulations, fishing season information, or to purchase a recreational license, visit the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Rip currents, hypothermia, floating logs, and unexpected high waves may pose hazards for surfers, surf fishers, swimmers, and waders. Laws and hazards are posted on each beach approach.
- Vehicle traffic is allowed seasonally on portions of the beach. Driving is allowed only on the uppermost hard-packed sand, and all the rules of the road apply, as on a public roadway. The speed limit on the beach is 25 mph. All-terrain vehicles are not allowed in the park, on the beach, or dune areas.
- Dogsledding with wheeled sleds is allowed on the beach.
- The City of Ocean Shores has an 18-hole golf course.
- Duck Lake is located in Ocean Shores and offers fishing, skiing and boat launch facilities.
- Printable park brochure (PDF).
The park has 149 standard campsites, 29 full-hookup sites, one dump station, four restrooms and nine showers. The hookup sites provide electricity, water and sewer. Maximum site length is 50 feet (limited availability). Showers operate with tokens which can be purchased from a vending machine located at the Welcome Center. Loop 2 does not have showers in the restroom. Campers may use the showers located in loops 1, 3, and 4.
Check-in time is 2:30 p.m.
Check-out time is 1 p.m.
The park offers two group camps. Group Camp 1 accommodates 20 - 40 guests and features two RV hookups with water and electricity, restroom, and picnic shelter. Group Camp 2 accommodates 20 - 30 guests. RVs cannot enter Group Camp 2 area. Up to four vehicles are allowed in the group camp parking lots. Additional vehicles may park in the nearby parking lot and are subject to an additional vehicle parking fee.
Reservations & fees
Services & supplies
Firewood is sold in the Welcome Center during office hours. All services and supplies are available in the town of Ocean Shores, about 1.5 miles south. Horse rentals can usually be found at the Chance a la Mer and Oyehut ocean beach entrances. Moped and electric bike rentals are available at various locations in the area. The nearest hospital is in Aberdeen. Ocean Shores has emergency medical technicians.