From early May to early June, State Parks marine crews will be repairing mooring buoys located in the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound regions. This will mean some buoys will be unavailable during scheduled repair times. The repair schedule follows below -- please plan accordingly for your visit.
Peninsula and Puget Sound including:
- Sequim Bay
- Kitsap Memorial
The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission has the largest state-managed mooring system in the nation, with more than 40 marine parks and more than 8,500 feet of public moorage space for your enjoyment of Washington's waterways. Your marine parks show off the best of Puget Sound and give you plenty of diverse activities including:
- Examining fossils
- Exploring old forts
- Hiking scenic island paths
- Watching forest critters
Rates and fees
Fees are charged year round for mooring at docks, floats, and buoys from 1 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Mooring bouys are non-reservable and first-come, first-served.
- The daily fee is 70 cents per foot, with a minimum of $15
- Moorage buoys is $15 a night
- Annual moorage permit is $5 per foot, with a minimum of $60
Boaters can purchase an Annual Moorage Permit, which is valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.
Note: Boats larger than 45 feet are not permitted to moor on buoys, only docks and linear moorage.
For more information about how we arrived at these moorage rates, download the Marine Park Study (PDF).
Moorage rules & regulations
- Annual permits must be displayed as directed
- Commercial vessels are restricted to loading and unloading passengers transported for recreational purposes
- Continuous moorage at a facility is limited to three consecutive nights
- Facility use is first come, first served
- Leaving a dinghy at a buoy or dock does not reserve a moorage space
- Open flames, live coals, and combustibles must be placed on a fireproof base, away from fuel tanks and vents
- Overnight boaters must self-register and pay the fees where posted
- Pets must be kept on leashes and under physical control at all times. Dispose properly of animal waste
- Rafting is permitted within posted limits. A vessel rafted to another vessel will be charged a moorage fee based on its own length