Mission and values
The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission cares for Washington's most treasured lands, waters, and historic places. State parks connect all Washingtonians to their diverse natural and cultural heritage and provide memorable recreational and educational experiences that enhance their lives.
Washington's state parks will be cherished destinations with natural, cultural, recreational, artistic, and interpretive experiences that all Washingtonians enjoy, appreciate, and proudly support.
- The agency has adopted the following core values:
- Commitment to stewardship that transmits high quality park assets to future generations
- Dedication to outdoor recreation and public enjoyment that welcomes all our citizens to their public parks
- Excellence in all we do
- Involving the public in our policy development and decision making
- Support for one another as we translate our mission into reality
Washington State Parks has some of the most talented people in the field. We celebrate and value diversity, appreciating that a workforce composed of those from different backgrounds and experiences creates an inclusive environment, strengthens positive relationships with the local community, and brings new perspectives and approaches to fulfilling the agency’s mission.
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission is a great place to work and has implemented several, and is developing additional, initiatives that create a great working environment, including:
- We offer flexible/alternative work schedules and mobile and telework options (depending on job duties).
- We promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
- We offer the state-wide total compensation package.
- We offer alternate transportation incentives (depending on location).
- We offer professional development opportunities, including formal and informal training and tuition reimbursement.
We offer a diverse range of job opportunities, whether you're a Parks Planner, Park Ranger, Construction & Maintenance Specialist or Fiscal Analyst, or if you just share our passion for Washington's diverse state parks.
We have positions at dozens of parks around our state, and office locations in Tumwater, Wenatchee and Burlington, which means there's a place for you no matter where you live in Washington.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the application and employment process will be accommodated to the extent reasonably possible. Requests should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 360-902-8565. Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing may dial 711 to place a call through Washington Relay, the state's free telecommunication access service.
Per Governor Inslee’s Emergency Proclamation 21-14 (Download PDF reader), all Washington State Parks employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the time of hire. If you have questions about this requirement, please contact the recruitment team at HR.Recruitment@parks.wa.gov.
- Email: HR.Recruitment@parks.wa.gov
- Phone: 360-902-8565